Thursday, December 04, 2008

Thanksgiving Trip - Day 5: Moment of epiphany

Leaving Colorado Springs was not an easy task, a prospect that became evident as soon as hotel room door was opened in the morning.

Driving in a heavy snowfall is still one of my favorite times to drive, but I could have done without the snail's pace at which progress was made by the traffic around me.

Since the storm front was heading east, it turned into a race. One that took a good four hours for me to win.



Even though the bad weather was left behind, the winds ahead of the storm front buffeted and shook the van all the way home. Along the highway wayward tumbleweed raced across the road, reminiscent of scenes from a prison break, usually missing getting crushed, but not always!

And with that the road trip came to an end. I did get a lot of time to soak in the Rockies. No natural sight stirs me as much as snow-capped mountains. I hope I get a chance to finish my last days surrounded by mountains just like these, many decades from now.

Standing at the base of the Rockies I had a sudden insight into what Reacher exactly meant when he realized why the two fictional towns were named Hope and Despair in Nothing to Lose.

No comments: