Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A method in his acting

In my previous post, I had alluded to Aamir Khan's thought process when he chooses his roles. Here is a blog post in which he describes how and why he chooses the roles he does. Read it in its entirety. In it he describes one scene from Fanaa where he explains how he approached the scene. Very fascinating.

Also, read this posting on how he conceived and created Bhuvan and his mannerisms for Lagaan. Here is a guy who puts a lot of thought into the roles he chooses.
Creating Bhuvan was tricky because he is such an all round good guy. No weaknesses. Characters like this have a tendency to get boring. I began at his core. What is his strongest quality? What is the quality about him that stands out the most? Based on the script I felt it was his inner strength. He's got tremendous courage, inner strength and resolve. How do I project that physically? I went for two imp body signals for this. One I kept my back ramrod straight at all times. I consciously avoided stooping or slumping my back. Two, I divided my body weight equally on both legs. Meaning, I avoided standing with my weight on one leg. So, feet shoulder length apart, weight evenly distributed on both legs, back straight and head held high, not too high (makes you look proud). That's the classic Bhuvan posture.

No comments: