Monday, December 22, 2008

Muggle time

A few weeks ago I discussed the Tales of Beedle the Bard, JK Rowling's latest book from the world of Harry Potter (sort of).

I loved the stories in the book, as I did the Harry Potter books. Each of the five tales have the classic JKR touch - simple enough that kids can get it, but complicated enough that adults can enjoy them, too. This is a tough thing to do, but she seems to have a finger on the pulse of her readers and this book does not disappoint, either.

I do not want to discuss the tales themselves as I do not want to ruin it if you have not read them. But I will say that she does not pretend that children cannot take adult concepts seriously. By not condescending to the children, whom the tales are directed towards, she does us all a favor by making the stories fun to read. This book is basically a children's book directed towards an adult audience.

Everyone will have their favorite story. Two stories stand out for me - The Warlock's Hairy Heart and The Fountain of Fair Fortune.

Buy the book and read it!

No comments: