Friday, July 23, 2010

TGIF: Songs to hum - 4

Every Friday afternoon, after I am done teaching the last lecture of the week, I sit in my office, put my feet up on my desk, lean back in my chair and softly hum songs to myself, unwinding and releasing the built-up tension of the week so far. Youtube is a good companion during these times and I have my own version of Chitrahaar, with the songs following some unfathomable pattern, changing per my mood and wishes.

Here is today's trip through Youtube:

First up, a song from the Telugu movie Magdheera which has among the best special effects I have ever seen in an Indian movie. Almost seamless!



While on Magadheera, anyone who's heard anything about this movie knows about the face-off between Chiranjeevi and his son Ram Charan Teja, 2 decades in the making...



And this...



Now, for a song from Bommarillu, a pretty well-made movie.



For some incomprehensible reason, it makes me go and watch this next!



From there to here, is an easy enough stretch.



Continuing with that odd thought process, I get conned into watching...



Moving on to a song featuring my favorite actors, Tamil or otherwise - Vikram.



Someday, remind me to tell you of my father's interactions with Ajith (seen here with his wife Shalini in a song purportedly sung in "one breath" by SPB). By the way, doesn't Ajith give overacting a new meaning in this song?



The SPB train of thought takes me back to this song from Shankarabharanam



Going from the previous song to this is but a click of the mouse...watch Kamal Hassan simply steal the show.



Obviously, it is but natural that I end today's wanderings with this song from the same movie (Sagara Sangamam).

10 comments:

Leela said...

I think that Shankarabharanam song with Somayajulu is just breath-taking; pity the lyrics are so tough to follow.
:-(
Also, a great pity they don't make movies like that anymore.
Sigh.

Jaunty Quicksand said...

L, for while, in the early to mid-80's there were quite a few movies with a classical bent - many by Vishwanath himself (Sapthapadi, Sirivennela, Sagara Sangaman, Sruthi Layalu readily come to mind). And then, in 1984, Chiranjeevi had his breakthrough with Devanthakudu and the focus shifted back to action movies. Chiranjeevi himself had an occasional Swayamkrushi or a Rudra Veena to keep the flame flickering but it was not enough.

Isn't it ironic that one of the most revered Telugu movies ever has a 60-year old guy as the hero? Of course, the other magnum opus, Mayabazaar was a starcast to top everything and, yet, the real stars were SVR and Savithri not NTR or ANR.

Good days.

Leela said...

Oh the 80s!
I cannot believe how "forward" Sapthapadi was (despite resorting to some time-tested cliches).

It's strange but most of the Telugu movies I and my siblings watched while growing up were Vishwanath's.
(Part of the "plan" to hold on to our pucca South-Indian roots!)
And then there was a time during the early 90s when Rajendra Prasad gave hits like Mr. Pellam and Pelli Pustakam.
Awesome.
Even those of his films that were loaded with double entendres managed to keep the "crass-factor" low.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... who is SVR?

Jaunty Quicksand said...

L,

Yes, Vishwanath did keep the flag flying for a while. But like all good things it had to come to an end sometime, I suppose. I did not see too many of Rajendra Prasad's movies. I do remember seeing Aha Naa Pellanta I was pleasantly surprised to see him in the previews for Quick Gun Murugan.

SVR refers to S.V. Ranga Rao, the gentleman who played Ghatotkacha in Maya Bazaar.

On a completely unrelated note - what's up with Masada? Time to get him going again.

Leela said...

Ah! S.V Ranga Rao.
Thanks.

Haven't been paying much attention to Masada. Heard he tied the knot?
Also heard something about India losing a test match?

I need to start watching cricket again!

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, MSD is one of the most dependable people in Team India; only a matter of time before he works his magic... or as his critics say "luck"!

Jaunty Quicksand said...

I think Masada tied the knot with Rakhi Sawant...or someone whose name is similar. I don't think it is Rakhi. I guess I could easily google it up, but really I don't care to.

India did lose a Test match to Sri Lanka. (I wrote about it on the blog, look up Murali and 800 wickets and you can find it). Not much of a surprise as we are notoriously slow starters in Test series these days.

If anything, the reporters are sharpening their knives in the opposite direction - now that Masada's luck has deserted him his inadequacies as a skipper are showing up. Of course, it is entirely his fault that Bhajji likes to bowl on the leg-stump these days hoping to bore the batsmen into getting out. It actually worked after Sr Lanka had pasted him around for 3 days over two Test matches.

More seriously, I sense a 1-1 series result, when everything is done and dusted.

I thought you'd be watching more cricket now that the Superkings are indeed the champions and you have no reason to tch-tch them when you see them on-screen. :-)

Leela said...

Rakhi Sawant!!! Sheesh! You scared me there for a moment. (And I thought that the Rai woman was tacky!)

OK, I did google the details and I approve :p; not a bad choice at all.
:-)
http://b4tea.com/news/ms-dhoni-marriage-wedding-photos

I sort of glanced over your post on Murali but did not really read it... :p so missed the details on the lost match.

CSK was OK for most of the IPL, but when Dhoni won them a match in a totally dramatic style ;-) I had a feeling they would go all the way.

Perhaps it's the fact that they are playing SL that I cannot get myself to watch the proceedings.

Jaunty Quicksand said...

L, the photoshopped wedding picture of theirs is absolutely fabulous. I think I could have done a better job of that and I don't even have Photoshop!

(By the way, I did not know Masada dated Aishwariya Rai or is it some other Rai you are referring to?)

The only reasons I am watching India-Sri Lanka are that I don't know how many more times I will get to watch VVS play, and second, I am a sucker for Test cricket, so I watch as much as I can. Yes, I did watch the entire second Test match, too. :-)

Enjoy the third Test. I have a feeing it will be a lot more engrossing than the previous two.

Leela said...

Photoshopped or not, I hope the woman in the pic is his wife; like I said, not bad at all.
:-)
Nah, that was Lakshmi Rai (don't bother googling, she is ugh!).

Will watch the 3rd test. Hopefully it will yield a result... in India's favor!

Jaunty Quicksand said...

Looks like you watched the 3rd Test. it paid off, didn't it?