Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pleasant surprise

A couple of years ago, spurred on by a gift of a few books, I decided to accumulate the entire collection of Asterix comic books. It took me a few months but I finally mamanged to get them all through Amazon.com

Periodically, when I want some light reading, I pick up one of the books and lazily wander through them, reliving some of my best childhood memories. A few days ago, during a break in the first Test action, I reached into my bookshelf, picked out a book, and laid my hands on this:


I opened it, read the first panel and did a double-take. I did not remember any of the words or images. I continued on and about half-way into the second page I realized that I had never read this book. I must have overlooked it all these years and then once again while I was collecting the books. So, with trembling hands and a wide smile on my face I read my first new Asterix book in over two decades. What joy!

4 comments:

Tifosi Guy said...

Mate

I'm envious of you ! I've been trying to get the Asterix collection and Amazon didn't have them !!

Yep, the comics are laugh a riot - the druid, magic potion, Vitalstatix, Obelix...

I need to get my hands on them !!!!!

Nice blog btw !

Jaunty Quicksand said...

Thanks, TG.

I collected the Asterix comics the hard way. I made a list of all the comics, and bought them individually one by one as a reward for completing tasks or assignments. All of them are available on Amazon (I just checked) but not the box set of them all in one package.

By the way, when you are buying them be careful you do not get the ones that are "modified" for the US market. For some unfathomable reason, some of the names have been changed - Vitalstatistix is Macroeconomx, Cacofonix is Malacoustix, etc....Ugh!

Tifosi Guy said...

Nice irony this, www.flipkart.com, is an online store for books in India.

They have the complete ( well 34 issues ) for about Rs 10,000. Ships only in India though :-)

I did read somewhere , that the Asterix collection is now around 52..But the last few issues is only by Uderzo.

Btw, I can't believe there is an Asterix version modified for US !!! No no... that's blasphemy.

It's as stupid as the time in the US when ' French fries' were called ' American fries' or something that stupid...

Jaunty Quicksand said...

TG, I went off this list when I was buying - I bought the ones that were by both Goscinny and Uderzo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_volumes

Luckily I was buying them one at a time so I noticed the US version. Blasphemous indeed. Just like they changed the name to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because they thought kids would get turned off by "Philosopher" in the title. Please!