Friday, January 17, 2014

TGIF: Songs to hum - 6

On Friday afternoons, after I am done teaching for the week, I sit in my office, put my feet up on my desk, lean back in my chair and softly hum songs to myself, unwinding and releasing the built-up tension of the week so far. Youtube is a good companion during these times and I have my own version of Chitrahaar, with the songs following some unfathomable pattern, changing per my mood and wishes.  (Previous TGIF posts are here).

Note:  The links may be broken as Youtube links tend to come and go.  I apologize in advance if that happens here.

Here is today's trip through Youtube:

1) My absolute favorite song of 2013 was Tum Hi Ho from Aashiqui 2, sung by Arijit Singh.  I did not see the movie but have seen/heard this song innumerable times.



2)  By the way, if you want to hear all the songs and also find out how Aashiqui 2 starts, begins, and ends you can watch this video of all the songs and some of the dialogues.




3) I, personally, did not care too much for Krrish 3.  I was put off by the level of mayhem and destruction wrought on a city (which I have blogged about earlier).  Anyhoo, there was one song in the movie that I found hummable.  So, I start today's medley with Dil, Tu Hi Bataa.  The female voice is Alisha Chinai's and I am surprised (and a little pleased) that she is still going strong.



4) The actual video of the next song is quite pathetic, actually, not doing any justice to the song.  Instead, I found this passable video that has been used as a surrogate.  This is Teri Meri Prem Kahani from Bodyguard.



5) The movie Talaash was not well-received as some of the other Aamir Khan movies of recent vintage.  I liked it a lot and did not mind the slow pace or even the ending (which one could see well in advance).  In addition, it had a song that I fell in love with even as I watched it for the first time.  Here's Jee Le Zara.



6)  I am not really sure how Ek Tha Tiger ended up being as bit a hit as it did (it is currently fifth on the all-time list of Bollywood's highest-grossing movies).  I was surprised that it was not an all-out action as the previews suggested and while I pleased to not be squirming through it (also how could I not like the hero's name?) I also didn't think it would be such a big hit.  Anyway, the song I liked most was Saiyaara.



7) I do not think I will ever see Murder 2 nor am I going to link to a video of the song that I like in the movie.  Here's a better video of Dil Sambhal Zara with lyrics to boot.



8) My favorite Emraan Hashmi song is still Dil Ibadat Kar Raha Hi from Tum Mile. Here's the complete audio version of the song.



9) To end today's song collection is a personal favorite from the past.  Hemant Kumar gems included Na Yeh Chand Hoga which he also sang in his own distinct voice. The lyrics are by H.S. Bihari.

No comments: