Saturday, October 17, 2009

Moments of epiphany

Hindi movies are notorious for ramming home a point, long after the audience has figured it out. One of the directors who takes a more subtle approach is Farhan Akhtar. His first movie, Dil Chahta Hai, featured a fabulous opera scene that was commissioned specifically for the movie.

Watch the picture perfect acting of Priety Zinta and Aamir Khan through this episode, culminating in the moment of epiphany at the 4:00 minute mark. Farhan's next movie, Lakshya, had a similar moment of epiphany, which is why the two movies resonate with me.



Lakshya is one of my favorite movies ever. I loved it the first time I saw it and I love it every time since. If you haven't seen the movie, here's a taste of it:

2 comments:

Leela said...

I really enjoyed Lakshya; it was one of those rare Bollywood films that accurately depicted army life (being an army brat... I consider myself an expert ;-)).

But I have to (respectfully)disagree with you regarding that opera scene from DCH; that was the only scene in the entire movie that I found superfluous.

Of course, I am willing to consider the fact that that may well be because I have never quite understood opera; I am more a dhin-chak Bolly fangirl :-)

Jaunty Quicksand said...

Lakshya was a rarity for a Hindi movie - a coming-of-age movie. On top of which, it had some very authentic looking scenes. I am not an expert in rock climbing but that scene where they scale the cliff was very chillingly done. (Note: maybe DSC/BD can weigh on on this based on his own rock-climbing experiences).

Coming to DCH, while watching the movie I was wondering what it would take for the hero to realize his true feelings. Farhan Akhtar could have chosen to use that old Bollywood cliche - hero observes the girl as she respectfully treats her elders or (even better) the helpless (a trick used even these days - Ghajini, for instance) - but he chose to instead do it in a very different way.

Or would you rather he use a kabootar and have love letters fly all over the place? :-)

The opera was a new way to use an old art form to create that moment.