Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall forward

On October 10th, 2009, I opened the front door only to be greeted by this:


I love snow and while I was happy to see the white stuff on the ground, the biologist in me is a little worried for the trees in the region, many of whom have only just begun the transition to Fall (leaves changing colors, that is).


Luckily, the snow did not stay long enough to break branches but the frost damage may be severe. Folks who have lived here for decades cannot recall a single snowfall that occurred before the leaves had begun to change colors. Should I be watching out for frogs and locusts now?

2 comments:

Kerry! said...

eep! That is a scary sight! I remember in 2003 or 2004, Frostburg was hit with an early ice storm in late October, and the damage is still quite prevalent, years later.

Jaunty Quicksand said...

Kerry, I agree. A similar unseasonal event destroyed a multi-year experiment I had set up at the Hort farm and pushed my PhD date back significantly. Grrr-dom prevailed then and it does now when I think about it.