Tuesday, October 20, 2009

An excuse to name-drop

After their retirements, two of my favorite sportsmen Greg Maddux and Graeme Hick have, not surprisingly, stayed out of the limelight. So, when I read their names again I feel a familiar happiness flow through me as it rekindles fond memories.

Recently, Graeme Hick was honored with an MBE (Member of the British Empire). I am not one to put much stake into honorary awards, but I am glad his services to English cricket in particular, and fans worldwide, is getting some recognition now that he has stopped playing.

Since you are already here - here's Scyld Berry writing about Hick when the great man was on the verge of retiring from all forms of cricket. And Christopher Martin-Jenkins revisits a golden summer that promised so much.



(I do wish the story on CricInfo had been written by someone who cared more for the person he was writing about or, indeed, about editing his own piece.  I am not sure how this article passed by an editor before being printed. Check out the atrociousness at the end of the article:

"I take more out of the other side of cricket rather than just the cricket. It is what it gives you, the friendships, the fun, the laughter, the good side of things. Yes, I enjoyed my cricket, had some good times, but your memories of 25 years don't revolve around facts and figures at the end of it. "I take more out of the other side of cricket rather than just the cricket. It is what it gives you, the friendships, the fun, the laughter, the good side of things.

"Yes, I enjoyed my cricket, had some good times, but your memories of 25 years don't revolve around facts and figures at the end of it. It is being able to go always back to the ground, see the faces and friends and things like that
.")

No comments: