Thursday, June 25, 2009

Maggie noodle review - Up

Within my friends circle, I was notorious for my disdain of animation movies, steadfastedly refusing to see any of them. Until one day I got tricked into seeing Finding Nemo. Since then, I have been an unabashed admirer of Pixar movies. (Other animation movies like Brother Bear underwhelmed me and I have not seen a non-Pixar animation, so I guess I am still snobbish about that genre). I thought WALL-E was the best movie made last year (and my Plants and Society class agreed with me, too, when I showed it to them over two lecture periods. So there!)

It was with great anticipation and pleasure that I walked into the movie hall to watch Up. And I was not disappointed one bit. In this "review" I shall leave the story out of it. If you have seen the preview you already know too much, and yet you have not seen enough. Watch it when you can. Young or old, you will all like the movie. The movie has as its main protagonists a 78 year-old retiree and an 8 year-old boy. Cuddly Walt Disney-types need not apply. In the beginning of the movie is a dialogue-less montage of a boy and girl and their life together that is brilliant. Simply brilliant. It sets the mood for the rest of the movie and tells you volumes about the old man's desire to fly away.

And fly away he does. Up, up, and away.

No comments: