Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Maggie noodle review - Transformers 2

Sounds of dissonance

It has been years since I was tempted to walk out of a movie before it ended. But I have never felt like leaving it less than an hour into it. T2:ROTF made my ears ring, my eyes fuzzy, my head ache and that was just in the first hour or so. Considering that I liked Armageddon (I know, I know) and tolerated the first Transformers movie, this one shocked me no end. The dialogs were written at a basic high school level. The words exist only to provide relief between the banging and explosions. When the machine-robots talked, I had no clue what they were saying, so garbled they were with the sounds of metallic parts constantly clanging as they moved. Scene after scene involved military folks shooting bullets at the bots, yet not once did I see where a bullet made an impression on them. Michael Bay, the director, tried very hard to throw in Megan Fox as often as possible, but it was not even worth the price of parking my car (and I did not even have to pay for parking).

By the way, the movie is 2.5 hours long. Imagine how terrifying the even-longer director's cut is going to be. But what do I know, the movie is turning into a mega-blockbuster in spite of the terrible reviews it received, so Transformers 3 must be on its way.
After just five days, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is halfway to $400 million domestically, a box-office milestone only eight other movies have reached. If it climbs that high, the "Transformers" sequel will be by far the worst-reviewed movie ever to make the $400 million club.

Critics and mainstream crowds often disagree, but "Revenge of the Fallen" sets a new standard for the gulf between what reviewers and mass audiences like.

The movie pulled in $201.2 million since opening Wednesday, the second-best result for a movie in its first five days, just behind "The Dark Knight" with $203.8 million. Even after its whopping $60.6 million opening day, "Revenge of the Fallen" was packing theaters, a sign that unlike critics, who mostly hated the movie, audiences felt they were getting their money's worth and were giving the flick good word of mouth
.
Save yourself some money and watch this preview. It shows you all you need to know about the movie and yet can still cause a headache.

No comments: