Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reasons to sing

Listening to music is not a constant enterprise for me. I can go long periods of time with no music, and usually look forward to the solitude that a quiet evening allows. When I am working I like the surroundings to be quiet, but I am able to tune everything out if need be. This is a gift and a curse. When I am really immersed in what I am doing, I don't hear a word or notice anything that is going on around me.

But occasionally, especially at the end of a long day, I like to listen to songs while I do some repetitive work. My officemates are quite understanding of my choice of music and have never complained about it (at least not to my face). Today, as I write up final exams for my students, I am listening to some songs in the background.

My jukebox is not a CD or a playlist on iTunes, it is a random selection of songs from Youtube. This gives me the freedom to take breaks periodically while selecting songs that appeal to my current mood. Here are some of the songs and musical pieces that I have been listening to today.

1) The first one is a personal favorite. I can never sing the repeating refrain of this song in the right notes correctly, no matter how hard I try! One day I will, promise.



2) I like the first half of this song (the version I am putting up is missing the second half of the song). Amitabh Bachchan's expressions right through the song are picture perfect, in tune with the music, a sense of timing that offers a glimpse into the immense acting ability of a man whose on-screen persona became so large it trapped him into a career of repeatedly doing the same role in different settings. (The movie is Sharaabi, one of many Amitabh hits directed by the recently-departed Prakash Mehra, the man largely responsible for that afore-mentioned image of Amitabh).



3) Until recently, I did not care too much for Mohammad Rafi's songs. But with time, my appreciation of songs has gone beyond just enjoying the tune and the lyrics have become just as important. Ten years, I would not have listened to more than 10 seconds of this song. Today, I can listen to it on repeat play multiple times. Too bad the song is wasted on such a wooden actor. I feel like applauding every time the heroine slaps him at the end of the song!



4) I do not completely understand the lyrics, but just listen to SP Balasubramaniam grab hold of it and give it life. There is some audio trickery in there somewhere, but it sounds as if the song is being delivered in one breath by him. The tempo of the song builds up leading to a very satisfying crescendo. (Luckily, I found a version with subtitles that helps understand the song better. It's a pity that the actor (Ajith) almost ruins the song with his "acting").



5) Anytime I need a pick-me-up tune, this is the song I go to. The combination of the lyrics and the peppy beats never fails to get my blood flowing again. (The explosion at the 2:05 mark is cool, too!) Oddly, I enjoyed the Hindi version of the movie more than the Tamil original, even though Vikram is a much better actor than Vivek Oberoi.



6) At the opposite extreme is this lovely song which contains one of my favorite statements someone can ever say to a loved one. Listening to Placido Domingo and John Denver is such a treat, too.



7) And finally for this post, one of the most awesome pieces of music ever composed, in a video that doubles as a tribute to, well, see for yourself. I love the music. It is haunting and reflective, and fittingly it served as the recurring musical theme for "The Fall".

No comments: