Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hell and beyond

Being an India cricketer is hell in many ways, because of the intense scrutiny you are subjected to by a billion people. But not being an India player is even worse. The same people who feted you one day suddenly behave as if you are the bane of their existence.
- Aakash Chopra
Earlier this week I finally received my much-awaited copy of Aakash Chopra's debut book, "Beyond the Blues". A few weeks ago, when the book was released, Aakash shared with us some of the reasons and inspirations behind the book.
A lot of things also conspired to keep me on my toes: the central contract, Delhi's dream run, my personal form and chances of playing for the country. In any case, I couldn't have written the script better. It was a landmark season with Delhi winning the Ranji Trophy after 16 years, North Zone clinching the Duleep Trophy, and me ending up being the highest run-scorer. We also had the first edition of the IPL in the same season to top it all.
It is a diary of the 2007 cricket season but is much, much more than that. I will write a proper review when I am done reading it, but I am sure that this is the first of many books from him.

I am still hoping that he will write one about the tours to Pakistan and Australia that he was such an integral part of.

No comments: