Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sin City

Las Vegas takes its reputation as a city of excesses really seriously. During a stopover at the airport I noticed how the whole place and the people there were playing on the greed of the migrant public. The obvious examples being the slot machines near the boarding gates.

The not so obvious ones being where the airline counters had personnel who would highlight how much money you could make by subscribing to various deals with them, tactics usually reserved for telemarketing phone calls. The overall emphasis was always around money - how much you coud win, how much you could save, how much you could spend. Funnily enough, for a guy who was "trying to make sure I make the most money I can" the hawker refused to let me take a photograph of him and his booth.

Truly, I guess, what happens in Vegas does stay in Vegas.

No comments: