Thursday, November 02, 2006

Drive-by sightseeing

Every so often I get into my car and drive. My favourite time of the year for such drives is during the Fall. The idea that trees are busily chugging along, breaking down foliar pigments, reabsorbing nutrients, getting ready for winter while still showing a pretty face, is oddly reassuring. If you haven't experienced a drive through fall foliage, a field trip should be on your travelling agenda for the future.

Once in a while, I stop the car and walk by a lake. Leaves of all sizes, shapes, and colours peek back at me. Where will they finally end up, I wonder?

In the evening, as the sun goes down and the world begins to settle in for the night, everything becomes calm. The sheet-like surface of the lake, transparent and unrippled, invites me to go back in time and become a child once more. Much joy is achieved by simply counting the number of times a stone skips off the surface.

Some days are just perfect. The rest are there to let you appreciate them when they do come by.

No comments: