Monday, May 15, 2006

A close encounter

On Sunday morning I had a very close look at a fine specimen of Odocoileus virginianus.

Last Sunday I was driving on the highway at my cusomary 65 mph, on my way back from the airport. A car in the faster lane was hugging my blindspot and tagging along for a fair bit. About half a mile down the road I noticed a solitary deer ambling across the highway. At first it seemed like the deer would cross the road easily, but then for some unfathomable reason, it took an about turn and wandered back into my lane!

I braked harder than I ever have before. Eventually I squealed to a complete stop, sliding the last few feet, ending up at a 45 degree angle to the road. I looked out of the windshield and the deer held my gaze. She nonchalantly walked back across my lane and nodded at me before disappearing into the adjacent forest. I nodded back, took a deep breath, and continued driving.

The driver in the next lane did not overtake me during the remaining 40-odd mile drive, and kept a safe distance between the two of us. I wonder why...

No comments: