Thursday, January 12, 2006

For a few dollars more

They say everything evens out in the end.

Earlier today, at the grocery store, the lady at the check-out counter returned my change to me - but miscounted and gave me an additional $10 bill. As she was counting the money I knew she had messed up. So when she handed me the money, I told her that she had done so, and returned the bill. I could have walked out and she would not have missed the money till it was time for them to count the day's take. But I didn't.

And even earlier today, I renewed my membership in a scholastic organization and realized, after the fact, that I had been charged the student rate. I sent them an email clarifying that I was no longer one, and forked up an additional $22 to cover the difference.

Jerry Seinfeld once demonstrated in a memorable episode of his popular sitcom that things always have a way of evening out.

As I was driving home a thought occurred to me - what if it does not even out? In that case I am short by $32. Or maybe over the years I have accumulated a positive balance of $32 in my ledger and today was the day it all evened out.

Aiiyyaaayyyy, the idle mind is, indeed, a devil's workshop.

No comments: