Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The brook

During the past year, my last as a student, I shared a house with 7 other graduate students. It may seem like we lived in cramped quarters, but actually each of us had our own bedroom (and our own Internet connection) so it was quite a comfortable co-existence. I was the first among us to graduate and always assumed that I would be the first to leave, too, but found a job right here in Morgantown. But one by one, each of them have now left this town after finding a job elsewhere. Last week as I dropped the last of my roommates at the airport I realized that I had outlasted them all. It has been a long stay in this town that I have come to think of as my second home and as I drove back from the airport I was reminded of the last lines of a poem by Lord Alfred Tennyson. I quote:

For men may come and men may go,
But I go on forever
.

No comments: