Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Proof positive

I do not know a lot of things about cricket. I am sure Test cricketers have forgotten more stuff about cricket than I will ever learn in my lifetime.

But I do know one thing: if I am fielding at short mid-off and a fast bowler is bowling, at the point of delivery I will be watching the batsman and NOT the bowling crease.

Dear Salman Butt,
I was hoping against hope that the bookie was making stuff up and that maybe, just maybe, there was some semblance of respect left in the actions he claimed were fixed. After seeing photo reproduced below, I have given up on that hope.

(Sky News 2010)

You have a lot of explaining to do, Mr. Butt. I just hope the Anti-Corruption Unit of the ICC has the guts (and the brains) to ask the right questions.

(Strangely though, for a body designed for the express purposes of weeding out just this type of riff-raff, they are a lot like the cops in the movies, showing up after all the damage has been done.)

2 comments:

Brahma Reddy Induri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaunty Quicksand said...

I find it sad that the outcome of this crap is that any match involving the Pakistani team will be scrutinized and judgments passed without proof. Even worse, most folks do not need to even have proof to talk ill about them.

Of course, it does not help that the PCB leader is prone to talking first and presenting his case later, if that.