Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Louisville Lip

While trolling for a Muhammad Ali video that I remembered from years ago (the video is affixed in the previous post) I wandered across his Wikiedia page and found out, serendipitously, that today is the GOAT's 68th birthday!

I was not around for much of Muhammad Ali's career and am not totally sure if he is really worthy of all the gaudy positive press he gets for being a great human being (which is not say he isn't a great human being - I just am not sure, that's all). That's because I have always thought of him as a carefully self-constructed media creation who managed to parlay his charismatic personality into that of a lovable, huggable bear while getting away with a long history of belittling his opponents.

Anyway, I digress. During my searches, I came across this video of the famous Sonny Liston-Muhammad Ali fight. It featured the controversial "phantom punch" and probably the most iconic photo ever taken of Ali. The fight was completed in the first round itself and exhibits the qualities that made Muhammad Ali famous - the dancing, the nimble feet and the blindingly quick hands. Also noteworthy in the video is the commentary (or lack thereof) while the action takes place. It is so refreshing to not have to listen to a voice tell me what I am watching. Enjoy!



If you want to read more about the man on this significant personal day, you should go here.

No comments: