Sunday, January 24, 2010

6 of one or glass half-full?

If you are a fan of the Minnesota Vikings, do you praise Brett Favre for playing well enough to get you within a few seconds of the Super Bowl or do you want to burn him in effigy for that (all-too familiar) bone-headed interception that effectively finished the season for you today?

That across-the-body, into the middle of the field, off-balance throw he made was one you'd expect a 19-year old QB to make, not a QB with 19 years of NFL experience. Sheesh! What a way for him to end his career. Or was it the end? As far as I am concerned, I am going to studiously avoid any news article between today and next Fall that mentions the word Brett Favre. The likes the Peter King are more than welcome to genuflect and pander to the ego of this fellow. I'm just glad I did not have any of my hopes tied to him.

4 comments:

Mahek said...

That across-the-body, into the middle of the field, off-balance throw has got him hundreds to yards. I don't like him at all but this isn't the legacy he will leave behind when he does finally retire. He will be remembered for the near 300 games he's started in a row, winning a superbowl and putting the Packers back on the NFL map.

Buck said...

so you reap, so you sow...

....the Vikings made a deal with the Devil - and so reached the NFC Championship game for the first time since that infamous brainfreeze by Dennis Green cost them the game against the Falcons.

the proverbial final nail in the coffin was the Favre interception - but the Vikings had 5 other turnovers prior to that, incl several fumbles by Adrian Peterson.

For once, Favre was not the only goat on the Vikings team - the Saints dodged a bullet and hopefully they have enough pixie-dust left to take care of the Colts in a couple of weeks.

Jaunty Quicksand said...

M, I agree with you. I just cannot fathom how a guy so experienced can be so obtuse sometimes. This is the third season in the past 4 that he has ended his team's chances with a mindless interception.

Favre was the QB on my fantasy football team and carried me for most of the year so I know what he is capable of. I am not a fan of his, but I know a few Vikings and Packer fans who have conflicting emotions about that interception.

Jaunty Quicksand said...

B, he was not the only goat but he nailed whatever doubt there was at the end about who would be chastised the most for the loss.

I don't believe it is my business to tell people when to retire but my advice to him, should he ask me, is that he shouldn't. That throw should not be the last one he has made in the NFL. And I am not speaking from a legacy point of view but rather from a personal satisfaction point of view.