Sunday, February 01, 2009

The Grand finale

A long time ago, I likened Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal to a matador and a bull. Today, in a few minutes, they shall meet for the 19th time (Nadal holds a 12-6 edge, so far) in the final of the Australian Open. I shall keep a running diary of thoughts as they flash through my mind during the match.

Before the match starts, here's my prediction. Federer is going to win this one. The only way Nadal wins is if this is a 3-setter. And it has nothing to do with fatigue. Nadal is 22 years old and has had a full day to recover. He can easily play a 5-setter today and not feel physically tired. It has been more than a year since Federer last beat Nadal, and if Nadal lets Federer win a set or two, the Swiss-meister's self-belief will kick in and he will finish off Nadal. I am going against conventional wisdom with this statement, but there you have it. The next few hours will be highly entertaining.

Note, the time now is 2:30am in the US and my prediction was made before the match started...

No comments: