Monday, November 17, 2008

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Two decades ago, DSC/BD came back from the States with a wide range of items he had collected in his year-long stay in the US. Some of them had a prescient tone to them - the first song I heard from the cassettes he brought back was "Country Roads" by John Denver. The others introduced me to new avenues - a tennis racquet (McEnroe McMaster II model) that I still have, Guns'N'Roses, Tennis magazine, and a graphic novel that I was deemed too young to read - Watchmen.

Before the novel was removed from my sight, I got a glimpse of some of the panels and the images stayed with me for decades. Hidden in the back recesses of the mind the images would occasionally burst forth, especially the statement that headlines this post. Who watches the watchmen? Recently, I came across the novel while perusing the bookstore looking for The Long Halloween, soon after The Dark Knight was released. Like a moth to flames, I was drawn to it (no pun intended) and devoured the book.

Call it serendipity, premonition, Fate or plain luck, a movie on the novel is in the works and the preview is splendid, especially if you can remember the original visuals. Enjoy this preview, DSC/BD. This one's for you!



Here's the more recent one, with more scenes and a clearer idea of the story.

No comments: