Friday, March 21, 2008

Peter repeater

Tring tring

"Welcome to the XXXXXXX credit card company. Please enter your 16 digit account number."

"Thank you. Please hold for the next available customer service representative."

"Hi, thank you for holding. This is Bill. May I have your 16 digit account number?"

"Hi, Bill, I just entered the number before I was transferred to you".

"Yes, Mr. M______, but I still need you to tell me what the number was."

"Why? I just gave you the number a few seconds ago. Does my account profile not show up on your screen?"

"It does, sir, but I need to confirm that it is indeed you that entered the number."

"Who else could it have been? And how does my repeating the number confirm that?"

"Sir, I just need to hear the number."

"But you have my account on the screen, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then why do need to repeat it again?"

"Would you like to speak to my supervisor, sir?"

"No, I am talking to you, why would I want to talk to your supervisor?"

"So he could tell you why we need the number."

"But you already have my number!"

10 minutes and three transfers later:

"Okay, sir, now that we have confirmed your account information, how may I help you?"

"I would like to know if you can reduce my APR."

"That is handled by the finance section. Let me transfer you, sir."

"Hi, thank you for holding. This is Jane. May I have your 16 digit account number?"

Oh no, not again! I made some remark about introducing their right hand to their left hand and and hung up.

Sometimes, picking your battles makes less sense than trying to fight the system.

No comments: