Sunday, January 07, 2007

Being an all-time great is no sure bet

In his latest column Glenn McGrath talks about his last day as a Test cricketer. One snippet in the article should tell you a lot about the man.
Through my whole career I have always felt I needed to keep performing to retain my spot. Just because I'm retiring after the World Cup doesn't mean I'm guaranteed of selection in the squad for the Caribbean. I feel I offer a lot of big-game experience.
Too bad he is not an Indian. Otherwise he could have rested on his laurels about 10 years ago and coasted home till eternity, a guaranteed World Cup spot in hand. If he failed, there would be a thousand souls reminding everyone that he had taken over 500 Test wickets, over 300 ODI wickets, won 2 World Cups, etc., and therefore, was undroppable.

Somebody needs to tell the divas that it is not what you have done for the last 10 years that count, it is what you continue to keep bringing to the table. Without the hunger you are just another mouth that is being spoonfed by adulating millions.

Winners win because they fear failure and are willing to work extra hard to avoid losing.

No comments: