Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Flying high

Televised sporting events and live webstreams have allowed me to watch some of the greatest players to have ever played in sports arenas – people who do not need full names to be identified. People like Gretsky, Montana, Tendulkar, Woods, and Federer. But the very first person to capture my imagination after I crossed the proverbial seven seas, is simply known as MJ – a man whose silhouette is just as famous as his face.

When I moved to Chicago, one of the primary motivating factors was that I would be able to watch Michael Jordan weave his magic on the basketball court. Two months after I arrived, he announced his retirement from the NBA at the young age of 31. A few weeks later, Michael was honoured by his organization by having his number retired and a life-size statue placed in front of the United Center (a building that was made affordable by the money that had poured into the city because of Jordan’s influence).

Seventeen months later, the Chicago Tribune received a two-word fax – “I’m back” and NBA was back to being Jordan’s turf. Three glorious seasons followed and the man actually played in an arena that had his life-size statue right outside it!!

He no longer plays in the NBA but his statue is still there, along with a listing of some of the stellar accomplishments of his glittering career. This time, during my Chicago visit, I took some time out to pay homage.

No comments: